IG

Friday, June 27, 2014

38. How to be a parent

I may be 16 but I am not just 16. In my 16 years of existence, I have already visualized on how I should raise my future kids. It may sound a bit cheesy but everytime I see something wrong with what my parents are doing to me, I always promise myself that If I would have a child, I would do the right thing. Their mistakes were my guidelines. And because I am so generous, I'm gonna share it to you. And because I'm a 'she', I'm gonna be using she's in this post.

1. Trust her

Thinking that your kid was into drugs or addicted to alcohol without seeing it with your bare eyes was the best way to lose your kid. If you would keep interrogating her on where she went or if she did bad things would make her feel that her obedience means nothing because in the eyes of her parent, she's still the rebel one.

2. Be her best bud

Treat her like she's just one of your besties. It is because the best foundation of a relationship is friendship. But also be aware that you can't change the fact that your daughter is still young and couldn't understand greater things in life. If she told you about the flirt  girl in her class, don't give her advices that were meant for adults. It is because if she won't be comfortable talking to you, she won't open up to you ever again.

3. Don't check her private messages and never stalk your daughter's social networking sites

Invading her privacy could be the worst thing that you could do to you kid. Remember: as much as you want to know everything about your daughter, she wants to have her safe haven where she would express her feelings. And if she doesn't share it to you, that means you're not doing number two. But invading her privacy more to know her would only make her trust issue worse. So don't you dare try it.

4. Don't treat her like crap

Even though you're mad for her mistakes, treating like she's the worst person on earth would make her detest you for the rest of her life. Remember, violence never solved anything. A war never cleared the issues without getting thousands of people die. So if you would treat her like shit, even once, you've lost your daughter. Sorry, game over.

5. Try to understand her

You might be tired of spending hours and hours of working and want to break every single piece of glass in your house, but blaming your tiredness at her is the worst you could do. She may not be doing something but that doesn't mean that you have to shout at her for doing nothing. Friendly reminder: your daughter never wanted to have a who's-more-tired-between-us competition.

6. Be her role model

Kids always do what adults do and if she sees at home that her parent/s is always smiling and happy with her life, she would think the same way. 

7. Grow up!!!

If you're still immature and have issues with your pride, ego, boastfulness and anger management, I may say that you're not yet ready to have a child. Because it takes a mature person to raise a child. And being grown up doesn't involve your achievements in your career. Its more than that.

8. Stop treating her like your servant

You may have troubles financially raising your kid but you have to understand that she's not your servant. You may be used to have some people in your office to get you your coffee, or tired of being the casualties (for the others), but she also has her freewill. She can say yes or no. And you don't hold that decision just because she's your parent. But in some cases, if your problem with your kid was just some darn chores, you may wanna ask her properly, or hire a maid of you can afford it.

9. STOP INVADING HER PRIVACY!!

10. STOP INVADING HER PRIVACY!!!

11. REPEAT NUMBER 9

12. REPEAT NUMBER 10

13. REPEAT NUMBER 3

It may not be proven psychologically or whatever but I believe that these guidelines could be helpful for the others. 

Honestly, I didn't made this for the others to hear my opinion on how to raise a child. This is for me. I hope that if I would have kids, I could apply all these. Hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment